Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Penguins

So the Penguins have been playing a little bit better of late. Previously, the Pens were in a slump, Malkin didn't score a goal in 11 games and the powerplay looked as powerful as a limp noodle. I was in attendance at the Air Canada Centre for their game against the Leafs. It was weird being a fan of both teams but I was definitely cheering for the Penguins. It's hard to cheer for a the Leafs sometimes and having a second team is nothing to be a shamed of if the other team has been so monumentally bad in recent years. It's depressing sometimes LOL.

So as i sat their with my Penguins Jersey on in a sea of Leafs Jerseys I couldn't help be feel bad. Maybe I should have worn my Alex Mogilny Leafs jersey. Then the game started and the Leafs played themselves out of it and it became apparent that I'd worn the right jersey for the occasion. My buddy got me tickets and we really had a good time. I am sure it wasn't as fun for him though but it's not everyday that a couple of blue collar boys like us get to take in a Leafs game so it was really nice.

The Penguins have beaten the Fliers and the Rangers in their last two games and they have played surprisingly well. Their powerplay is working fairly well and they are getting unexpected help from some of their support players. This team is also playing surprisingly well despite not having any real offensive threats on their wings. I suggest moving Tyler Kennedy on Malkin's right wing or Crosby's. Other than that, the Penguins need to somehow magically come up with some high scoring wingers and another decent offensive defenseman.

Crosby's been firing on all cylinders and is third in league scoring but Malkin needs to really pick it up as he's played well but not producing at the level he's used to. He needs to start exerting his will and putting the puck on net, or on the sticks of teammates while in good scoring position. Fleury is back as well and seems to be playing as well as he ever has. Let's hope that he keeps up his intensity as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment